Wednesday 16th April 2014,

Dogs Knit Sweaters For Their Owners

Leigh Diprose January 8, 2013 Beyond the Lens

Erwan Fichou has managed to capture owners wearing clothing made from their pets’ fur.

The fur was brushed and collected over time to generate enough of a yarn where it was then knitted into a sweater. I don’t think you will find me wearing one of these anytime soon. Would you wear your pet’s fur?

Dog wool

Dog wool

Dog wool

Dog wool

Dog wool

Dog wool

Dog wool

Dog wool

Dog wool

flattr this!

Like this Article? Share it!

About The Author

I'm a Fujifilm Australia Business Manager, photographer, networker, blogger, social guru, entrepreneur and helper to all. Photography is my life. I don't tend to categorise myself as a portrait or landscape photographer....I just photograph it all. You can find me hanging out in several locations at a time. My time is dedicated to various social platforms primarily Google+ where I run the Google+ Photographers Community. You can also find a lot of my work on my personal blog - www.camerasmash.com

Loading Facebook Comments ...

12 Comments

1. Faith Howe January 20, 2013 at 10:03 pm

The mittens I have from my old dog Sandy are phenomenally warm (and itchy – I have to wear glove liners underneath) so my hands are never cold when I wear them. I have brushings from my other dogs, but haven’t gotten around to spinning and knitting them up yet – I like the idea of having the physical connection to dogs I had so long ago. But I still know that some people are just plain grossed out by the concept.

2. Dolly O'Flanagan. January 20, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Clothes… Pah! I’ve a whole king sized bed blanket and matching cushions. 10 generations of hamsters is all it took. Will carpet my condo next – pube hair, 10 years worth from my beauty salon.

3. Kathy January 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm

These are lovely photos.
    Yes, dog fiber (aka – chiengora) tends to be very warm. I became interested in learning to spin because of the copious amounts of fiber my dogs provided me. I currently have two Great Pyrenees and a Bearded Collie and spin the under coat from them. I have also spun undercoat from other dogs and made up small items as mementos.

4. Mary January 18, 2013 at 5:13 am

Thank you! These are awesome! I spin so I see these as the labors of love they are. These people don’t care if they make any fashion five list, (though I can’t see why not! ;) They will have their beloved pet with them forever. I have BOXES of my Emma’s fur that I can’t bring myself to spin yet. I still cry when I try, but I will have her to hug again…one day. If you have a brush-able pet and yes, even cats, brush and bond with it and by all means, save that fluff! Find a spinner and go for it! Yes it’s warmer than wool but it can be blended with wool to lighten it up or make it go farther if you just have a bit of fur.

5. wobblegiggle January 18, 2013 at 2:49 am

OMG – the old bald guy who fixed Woody in Toy Story 2!

6. Jerdice January 18, 2013 at 2:23 am

I’ve had 3 sweaters and a hat since 1982 from my “heart dog”, a Keeshond named Gretchen. They are very comfortable as they cool if I get too warm but warm me up if I get cool. The spinner washed the yarn after spinning it with Joy. After 8 Kees in our lives, Gretchen still comforts me just as she did when she lived here.

7. doug January 18, 2013 at 1:25 am

No cats? I’ve joked many times that I could make a sweater out of the fur I brush off my cat-but these people really did it!

8. Janis January 17, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Not unless I wanted to roast. Dog fur is supposed to be insanely warm, to the point where you overheat if it’s above zero degrees.

But honestly, if you have a dog that blows its coat regularly, it beats just throwing the stuff out.

9. Tabitha January 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I’m sorry but the subtitle should be “how to look like a yeti”.

Leave A Response